I’ve taken pictures with my Razr since I got it, but without the ability to download them onto a computer, the most you can do with them is pretty much “set as wallpaper.”
So I looked and found: Motorola Phone Tools.
But O.M.G… this is probably the most frustrating software that I haven’t deleted. First you connect your phone to your computer, and it tells you that the device can’t be found. You find the driver, and go through a series of initializing steps, and when you finally thought you are ready to transfer files, the connection dies on you after you download your first 20 pictures.
Here’s how I finally got the pictures and video clips off the bloody thing:
- Get a copy of the Motorola Phone Tools (MPT). This blog does not encourage piracy.
- Download and install the phone driver from here.
- Install MPT.
- Run MPT.
- Select “USB” for your connection and click next.
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- You should now see the MPT running.
- * If you can’t get it to work to this step, try the following tutorial:
- If it still doesn’t work, disconnect your phone, turn off your phone and turn it back on, and try again.
- Now let’s say you managed to see the File Transfer Studio. You think the most frustrating part is over? Nah, dream on.
- On the left panel, go to the destination folder (where you want to put your pictures on your computer). On the right panel, open the folder you want to download from the phone.
- DO NOT use the transfer icon. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with MPT or Razr, but using that transfer icon will result in “connection terminated by phone” after you transfer the first megabyte of data or so.
- Instead, select small chunks of files from the right and drag + drop them onto the left. Somehow that won’t piss off MPT and Razr as much.
And if you unfortunately get the “connection terminated” message, follow step 5. My theory: if you dig too much stuff out of Razr too fast, it will get angry and stop cooperating. The way to sooth it is to turn it off and on, then it will forget and be happy again.