I shall keep a tally of things that I would do if I had full control over my blog, which are not available in any blogging service known to me:
- Lock posts by their tags. e.g.: it would be nice if I can choose to lock all of the posts that I tag “private” or “inappropriate”.
- Related to 1., I would hide any traces of posts that are locked, including their headings, until the viewer unlocks them.
- Related to 1., and 2., I will make “views” for my blog. A “view” essentially renders the blog to match the audience. For example, there could be “English”, “Chinese”, “Bilingual” views that the reader can choose, and only the appropriate posts will show up. There could also be “general” and “private” views, the latter of which requires a password to activate.
- Related to 1., 2., and 3., (man, what’s with the spree?) I would like to be able to select what “view” to use as the front page.
- Some blogs support the choice of “appear on front page” for posts, so that some of my completely random, brutally trivial posts would not have to hog all the precious front page spaces, as in this situation.
- Display the “recently updated posts” instead of just “recent posts”, because who knows how many people would like to know that this list just got updated!
- (this list shall grow)